Chicago Breast & World Lymphedema Surgery Symposium
April 22, 2021 to April 24, 2021
The Chicago Breast & World Lymphedema Symposium will identify, discuss, and demonstrate complex breast reconstruction and lymphedema therapies within the framework of creating and maintaining multidisciplinary relationships.
The standard of care for breast cancer and for lymphedema span multiple disciplines, including surgical oncology, plastic surgery, medical and radiation oncology, breast radiology, as well as rehabilitation. Outcomes are optimized for patients when multidisciplinary care is well-coordinated. Symposium faculty will illustrate concrete examples of successful patient care through coordinated intervention by detailing individual procedures and analyzing steps in patient care.
Faculty will also discuss techniques and challenges encountered in various surgical procedures. Following the symposium, participants will be able to differentiate when to use various breast reconstruction and lymphedema procedures as well as how to facilitate new relationships across disciplines and professions to promote improved patient outcome.
Learn more at our website!
At the conclusion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Describe the most appropriate therapies for breast cancer, breast reconstruction, and lymphedema;
- Identify multidisciplinary strategies for addressing complex patient diagnoses in the areas of lymphedema and breast cancer;
- Recognize optimal patients for pre-pectoral implant reconstruction;
- Select donor sites for autologous tissue reconstruction;
- Determine the expected outcomes of lymphedema treatment using case studies and evidence-based guidelines;
- Relate how to perform various surgical treatments of lymphedema;
- Describe the clinical and physiological impact of autologous breast reconstruction to restore patient's functional mobility and quality of life in terms of physical and occupational therapy;
- Determine opportunities to collaborate in interprofessional teams to enhance the quality of patient care and clinical outcomes in the therapeutic areas of breast cancer, breast reconstruction, and lymphedema;
- Outline common surgical techniques used during breast and lymphedema surgery;
- Recognize current concerns and trends in lymph node transfers for breast cancer patients undergoing active surveillance;
- Analyze the role of radiation and reconstruction in breast cancer care.